We are committed to protecting your privacy.
We collect and process personal data about you to provide the services you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our customers, or fulfil other legitimate interests.
Our Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information. When we make any changes to this policy we will provide the updated version on our website.
- Data Controller
The Data Controller in respect of this Privacy Notice is Gym Active Limited.
Collection of Information
When do we collect information? We collect your personal information when you:
- Complete a Membership Application Form, typically online on our website;
- Book or attend classes or inductions with us;
- Ask us for more information about a product or service, or contact us with a question or complaint, whether via our website, over the phone or in person;
- Send an email to any of our email accounts;
- Swipe your access fob at the gym;
- Whenever you have an accident in the gym or an incident where you were a witness or personally affected;
- CCTV – when you are accessing and using the gym;
- When we take photos of you for our database in return for issuing you with your access fob;
- Take part in any marketing, surveys or competitions with us.
CCTV is in operation 24 hours a day for your safety and our security. This is only accessible by Gym Active Limited and only shared with necessary third parties, for example insurers and Police.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect is required for the purpose of creating your membership record and to set up, activate and maintain your membership with us. This includes:
- Name, date of birth, gender, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number, health questionnaire, induction waiver declaration and whether you require disabled access;
- Credit or debit card information, information about your bank account number and sort code or other banking information. Note that we do not store your bank or credit card details on our web servers
- Your usage and duration of visits at the gym;
- Your preferences for particular products or services or interests when you tell us what they are (or when we assume what they are), depending on how you use our products and services;
- Your contact with us, such as a note of a call you make to us or an email or other records of any contact you have with us;
- Your membership information – such as dates of payment owed and received, the services you use and any other information related to your membership.
How do we use this information?
We will use your personal information to provide you with the services, products or information that you have requested, for administration purposes, to improve your website experience and marketing.
We may need to share your information with our service providers, associated organisations and agents for these purposes.
We may use your information to:
- Carry out an identity check as part of your membership application. We will let you know in advance if this is to be obtained. This is not a credit check.
- Process your membership application through software used to create your membership record;
- Bill you for using our services as part of your membership;
- Keep you informed about our services including operational matters relating to your membership;
- Provide relevant services to you;
- Confirm your attendance for inductions or classes;
- To share gym event photos on our website and social media accounts (your permission will be asked first before photographs are taken);
- Contact you with offers or promotions based on our analysis of how you use our services and what we think will be of interest to you (unless you choose not to receive our marketing messages);
- Respond to any questions or concerns you might have about our services;
- Understand how you use our services, to help us review and develop our services to keep them relevant and attractive to members;
- Carry out research and statistical analysis to monitor how members use our services;
- Prevent and detect fraud or other crimes.
Where we process your personal data based on your consent you have the right to withdraw consent at any time, for example your consent to receive direct marketing.
If you do not want to receive marketing messages from us, please send us an email to opt out, including for past members.
How long will you keep this information?
We will store your information for as long as you are a member with us and then following cancellation for insurance reasons and to meet legal requirements. We aim to delete contact information 18 months after you have ceased to be a member with us. For all other information, including membership applications, health questionnaires and induction waiver declarations, we will store your information for no more than 3 years from when you ceased to be a member or otherwise contacted us with regards to your membership.
Keeping your personal information secure
We will take appropriate measures to ensure that the information we collect and maintain is kept secure, accurate and up to date and kept only for so long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used.
Communications over the internet (such as emails) are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications with us may go through a number of countries before being delivered due to the nature of the internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
Will information be disclosed to third parties?
We may share information about you with:
- Service providers, agents and associated organisations to allow us to deliver your membership and communicate with you. For example, financial institutions to process payments and fitness instructors and personal trainers when you sign up to classes; and
- Law enforcement agencies, regulatory organisations, courts or other public authorities where we have a legal obligation to do so.
We will release information if it is reasonable for the purpose of protecting us against fraud, defending our rights or property or to protect the interests of our customers.
If we are reorganised or sold to another organisation, we may transfer any personal information we hold about you and your membership to that organisation. We will inform you if we do.
Do we use information for automatic decision making?
Gym Active Limited does not intend to use your personal data for automatic decision making.
Do we use third party tracking?
No – we do not use third party tracking.
Do we use “do not track” (DNT)
Our website does not respond to DNT signals.
What about the collection of children’s data?
Gym Active Limited permits members under the age of 18 years, including child members under the age of 16 years old provided certain conditions are met. As such, we do collect some personal data of children. The personal data we collect for under 16 year olds is kept to the minimum necessary and not used for the purposes of marketing. We otherwise collect, process and deal with children’s date in the same manner as detailed in this Privacy Notice for the personal details of our members. If you have any concerns or queries regarding children’s data please do contact us.
Your privacy rights
You have the following rights in relation to your data privacy:
- The right of access
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected. Please contact us via email or writing to us. There is not normally a fee for this service.
- The right of rectification
If you believe we are holding inaccurate information about you, or your personal details change, please update your details with us. This includes Debit, Credit and Bank account changes.
- The right of erasure (the “Right to be Forgotten”)
You have the right to the erasure of the data we hold on you, when it is no longer needed for the purposes of your membership, or when you withdraw your consent for our processing (and we have no other lawful basis to hold your data).
- The right to restriction of processing
You have the right to ask us to place restrictions on processing your data in certain circumstances.
- The right to be notified
You have the right to be notified of any rectification, erasure or restrictions in relation to your personal data.
- The right to data portability
You have a right to receive the data we hold on you electronically in a format that allows it to be easily transferred to another data controller.
- The right of objection
You have the right to object to data processing of your personal data for direct marketing or profiling purposes.
- The right to not be subject to automated profiling
You have the right not to be subject to any decision based on automatic processing of your personal data.
The address to be used to obtain a copy of your personal information is: Gym Active Limited, Horsepond Meadow, South Molton EX36 4EJ. You can also contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be changed and amended from time to time to reflect the way in which we process and protect your data. If we do so, we will update our website to include the most up-to-date version and you can contact us if you have any queries.